Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rainbow Birthday Party

Warning... Lots of pictures!! Bear with me!!! :)


So Boogey turned 4 a few weeks ago. It feels like I just posted about her 3rd Birthday Party! (A Mod Monkey Party seen HERE). Darn, these kids grow up fast!

Well this year, we went with a RAINBOW theme and it was so much fun pulling it all together!

First I designed my own invitations using free clipart and Powerpoint. I printed the images on plain copy paper and pasted them on to pre-made blank notecards from my "stash". Here are samples with names/dates/info changed for privacy purposes.


Rainbow Party Invitation - Outside


Rainbow Party Invitation - Inside

I wanted to try and have as much rainbow-inspired decor as possible so we really went to town! First in the dining room... I purchased packs of plates and napkins in every color of the rainbow at Walmart. Obviously I had WAAAAY more supplies than I needed but they were only 97 cents a pack and the extras will certainly be used for future parties so really no waste there. I laid out a plastic balloon-design tablecloth over a plain white cloth one to protect the table - 4 year olds are messy folks! [Now, I have to be honest that the balloon tablecloth isn't really my style but I decided to just work with it since it had been given to me for free a couple of years ago from a relative. And, well, we all know how cheap frugal I am - free is good! ;)  ].

Helium balloons of every color were tied to the chairs and chocolate gold coins were scattered across the table. Plain white paper cups from the party store ($2.99 for 24) were jazzed up with some homemade stickers I made using a freebie file I found HERE at Paper Glitter. I simply printed the images out on sheets of sticker paper that I already had in my stash (previously purchased at Staples), cut them out using a 2-inch circle punch and had Boogey stick them onto the cups. Plastic straws from our regular stash were placed in each cup. (TIP: I always trim about an inch off the bottom of straws so they aren't quite so tall. Then there is less chance of a tip-over when you're dealing with shorter cups and pre-schoolers!)

Rainbow Party Table SetUp

Across the back window, I hung some streamers in every color of the rainbow to add some fun visuals and movement.

Rainbow Streamers were hung from a string across the back window

The goody bags were purchased individually from the party store (25 cents each, I think) and lined up along the sideboard. First I added some interest by cutting the straight tops with my scallop-edge scissors. Then I had Boogey add some of those homemade stickers to each of the bags.

Rainbow Party Goody Bags

Inside the bags I put a rainbow pack of paints, a fun rubber bracelet (saying things like "Awesome"), some chocolate coins, a pixy stick, a small bag of Gobstoppers and a rainbow slinky. The paints and bracelets were purchased at the party store for less than $1 each. The pixy sticks and gobstoppers were also from the party store and something like 5 cents each. The chocolate coins were from HERE but didn't actually cost me anything since I "bought" them using a gift card I won in a recent giveaway - score! And the slinkies actually didn't cost me anything either. Side story... last year, when I ordered some things from Oriental Trading for Boogey's 3rd Birthday Party, they accidentally sent me the wrong order. Instead of making me ship it back, they said I could keep everything! There was a TON of stuff in the box - seriously, at least $150 worth of cheap crap fun stuff - so we have been dipping into it every so often. The slinkies were one of the items in that box - score!

Goody Bag fillings


In the kitchen, we had the drinks and snacks. I made some punch for the kiddos and served it in the awesome drink dispenser the Heela gave me for Christmas. I decorated it with some of the ribbon from the balloons (they always make them way too long!) and a printout from a file I won for free (squee!) last fall from Birds Party's Blog (found HERE). {See my punch recipe HERE)

Punch always tastes better in one of these fun drink dispensers!

Since the party was at 2pm we didn't really need to provide much "real" food for everyone, but we did serve some bagel pizza bites, pretzels, rainbow goldfish and Sun Chips. The sweet treats were abundant though and I am sure the other parents were cursing me all night! LOL.

First we had a RAINBOW fruit salad...

Rainbow Party Fruit Salad

Then we had some Marshmallow Cloud Pops (made by SweetPea and Boogey following the same method we used HERE for SweetPea's Rock Star Marshmallow Pops) - in every color of the RAINBOW, of course.

Rainbow Marshmallow Pops



Rainbow Marshmallow Pop

Sunchips, pretzels and rainbow goldfish were placed in colorful buckets found at the party store for only 89 cents each! See my secret trick HERE on how I make snacks go further!

Rainbow Buckets willed with goodies!

We also served RAINBOW treats made with Fruity Pebbles. (see my recipe post for how to make these HERE}

Rainbow Fruity Pebble Treats

And then... the candy... bwahahahahahahaha! Skittles and M&M's were sorted by color and stored in super cute dispensers. These mini candy dispensers were another one of the items I "bought" with that gift card I won and can be found HERE. {Squee - don't you just love giveaways and free stuff!!}  I found the candy dots at Michaels and grabbed them on a whim (about $3, I think - and I didn't use them all). I cut them into smaller strips so they wouldn't be too deadly. ;)  The RAINBOW twizzlers were from Walmart and I cut those in half so they would go further and, again, not be too much sugar at one time (haha!) (again, less than $3 for the pack and I didn't use them all).

Rainbow Candy Spread
Even more rainbow candy

You can see my food label tents in the various photos above. I have to brag that I designed them myself and was quite proud of the end result. Not bad for an amateur, huh? I designed them in Powerpoint and printed them out on cardstock. A nice little added touch, I think. (if you're interested in using my file, I'm happy to share - just shoot me an email).


Self-made Food Label Tents added a little flair to the tables


Lastly... the RAINBOW cupcakes... these were a HUGE hit and I was really pleased with how they turned out (much better than this semi-fail HERE). You can find my full tutorial on how to make these in this post HERE. I made the cupcake toppers using the same freebie file (found HERE at Paper Glitter) as I used for the stickers on the cups and goody bags.


Rainbow Cupcakes

Yummy Rainbow Cupcakes

Activities included playing RAINBOW Bingo which I designed and created myself. I gave each of the kids a bag of pennies to use as markers. They had a really fun time with this! (again, if you're interested in using my file, I'm happy to share - just shoot me an email. It includes 15 different bingo cards - all the same images on each card, but in different locations). I called out the images such as "Who can find the Green Car? Who can find the yellow corn?" - the kids loved it!
Homemade Rainbow / Color Bingo Card

And lastly, we played Pin the Pot of Gold on the Rainbow. (I was inspired by THIS post over at Chickabug but decided to do my own take on it). The girls helped me make this and the guests had a lot of fun playing this game. You can see my full tutorial HERE, and here is the end result after the 'pot o gold' stickers had been added by the kids.

Pin the Pot of Gold on the Rainbow


Oh and last but not least, I hung a paper flag bunting across the fireplace. The flags were included as part of that file I won from Bird's Party Blog. I didn't even print them out on cardstock - just plain old printer paper - and strung them with some plain old kitchen string. But it added just a little bit of fun and a nice pop of color to the mantle.


Flag Bunting adds some color and fun to the fireplace


(In case you were wondering the "i love us" printable was a freebie from the fabulous blog Eighteen 25 - you can find it HERE in a variety of colors. I love it.).


Well, there you have it! A 4-year old's dream rainbow party! Boogey and her friends really had fun (as did we parents!) and I am pleased to call it a SUCCESS! :) If you have any questions or would like me to email you my food label tents or the Bingo cards, just shoot me an email (see "contact me" tab above).



{This post was featured! Thank you! Be sure to check out these fabulous blogs!!}
UndertheTableandDreaming

These Creative Juices
A Little Knick Knack


Featured on Cast Party Wednesday



kitchenfun


Pin It

Linking up to these fun parties - be sure to check them out!
A Turtle's Life for Me
The Frugal Girls
While he Was Napping
A little knick knack
Keeping it Simple
Under the Table and Dreaming
C.R.A.F.T.
Polish the Stars
These Creative Juices
Someday Crafts
House of Hepworths
Not Just a Housewife
Somewhat Simple
Kitchen Fun with my 3 Sons
Truly Lovely
Bird's Party
Lady Behind the Curtain

The CSI Project's Birthday Party Challenge

Visit thecsiproject.com

Pin It!

41 comments:

  1. What a great party! I loved your food printables. And those cupcake toppers were so cute! It looks like so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun theme! What a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an awesome party! I love all the colors!! I'd be in rainbow heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing a rainbow party for my daughter in April. You've got such great stuff here. Thanks for the inspiration. Had to pin it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun fun fun!! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome party, love the crepe paper strips at the window especially. Found you at the While He Was Napping, Weekend Wander party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great party!! I would like to invite you to share at our Sharing Saturday at http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/02/sharing-saturday-7.html. This week's is still open through Wednesday and another one will start Friday night. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great. I found your link at Under the table and dreaming. Thank you for sharing.

    Mommy Sauri~
    http://casadesauri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great party! I'm hosting one too for my daughter's 7th b-day in April!! I will have to Pin yours ;)
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a fun party! I want to join in the fun. The treats look REALLY yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, you are a fun mom!!! LOVE THIS!!! came over from Someday crafts, eye candy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun party! I would love to feature this tomorrow! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out very cute! I did a rainbow party for my daughter last year, so much fun! Love the marshmallow pops :)

    Visiting from Not Just a Housewife!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fun party! Great job with all the food and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an AWESOME theme!!!!! I love it!! Every little detail is perfect!

    I hope you'll stop by my blog. I have have a Linky Party going on :)
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty and fun--makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love the rainbow theme you chose. Everything looks so amazing! Lucky kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your party! What a great theme (for boy or girl!).
    So many great ideas!
    Lindsay
    www.craftyladylindsay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a super duper fun party! You did so well on the details of rainbow all through it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How fun! My daughter also loves rainbows--and she'll turn five in a month! I'm pinning this too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love your rainbow party - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a creative and FUN party!! I LOVE the cupcakes, and those funky printables you used! hehe

    Thanks you so much for linking up to Bird's Party!! Hope to see you next month?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great party! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday and shared your ideas with us! Thanks, I hope to see you there! ---Sheryl--- http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=26592

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun theme for a party!! Love the rainbow theme! Those marshmallow pops are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! We are planning my daughters 4th Rainbow birthday. I would love the file for the rainbow food label tents you used. princesszarf@aol.com Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute and creative party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. those cupcakes are great. You did an excellent job. How fun!!

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  28. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your party idea is being featured on Menu and Party Idea Round Up from Cast Party Wednesday! http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=26954
    Please go grab a button and Thank You for sharing you party idea with us!
    ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous party ideas!! Just in time for my daughter's 5th party..she wants RAINBOWS!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the rainbow theme. The invitations are just creative and the entire setup is just very inviting. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi! Love all your ideas! I am in the process of planning a rainbow for my 3 year old now. Is there any way I can get a pdf of the Rainbow bingo card? I LOVE it and am looking for activites!

    Thank you.
    ~Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those rainbow goody bags are just simple but they are perfectly cute. The cupcakes surely look yummy. Congratulations on preparing such a wonderful party.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the colored buckets. Too cute. I made a dragon rainbow party favor. Here is the link.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=554288654603273&set=a.101506253214851.3624.100000664302080&type=1&relevant_count=1

    ReplyDelete
  34. i would really like the bingo for my daughters party in may my email is carterfam42008@yahoo.com thank you

    ReplyDelete
  35. My daughter has requested a Rainbow Party for her 5th Birthday. You have so many great ideas, thank you for posting! I would love to use your food label tents and the rainbow bingo if you don't mind sharing. laurenmcdowell@rogers.com Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello loved your theme and crafts. can you please share your bingo card game with me at mitali.mitsnsweets@gmail.com would like to use for my son's first bday treat

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love a copy of your table cards for my daughter's My Little Pony party. The cloud and rainbows are perfect for her favorite pony. Nikki.cramlet@gmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Would you share your Color Bingo cards with me? We are doing a Rainbow Loom party with rainbow decorations and this would be perfect. skbfrazier at gmail dot com Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...