Thursday, June 30, 2011

Baked Crab Rangoon

At a recent family gathering I was tasked with bringing some appetizers. One of the tasty treats I decided to make was Baked Crab Rangoon. I love getting this yummy fried goodness when we order takeout, but it really isn't that figure friendly given that whole "fried" aspect. However, this version is a little kinder to your waistline since it is baked instead of fried and uses light cream cheese and mayo. These were a HUGE hit with everyone and so delish!


(pardon the lousy cell phone pic - it's all I had that day!)


What you need:



I made a double batch so my pic shows 2 cans of crab. The recipe below is for a normal batch using 1 can.


  • 1 can (16 oz.) white crabmeat, drained
  • 4 oz. (1/2 of standard 8 oz. package) light cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 1/4 cup light mayonaise
  • 12 won ton wrappers


{Tip: Won ton wrappers can usually be found at the grocery store in the refridgerated produce section}.


What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Mix crabmeat, cream cheese, onions, mayo together in bowl.
  • Spray 12 medium muffin cups with cooking spray.
  • Gently place one won ton wrapper in each cup, allowing edges of wrappers to extend above sides of cups.
  • Fill wonton cups evenly with crabmeat mixture. (I used a small cookie scoop to do mine).
  • Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and filling is heated through.
  • Serve warm. Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.
  • ENJOY! :)


Next time I will:
- Not fill my cups quite so full - I felt there was a little too much filling in each one (and I'm a filling gal!)
- Add a garnish of chopped green onion to each one - these definitely needed some extra color
- Use a different brand of crab meat - this stuff was pretty wimpy with no substance
- Make extra because they were sooooooo good! :)


This project linked up here:

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if that imitation crab meat would work, although I am somewhat suspicious of imitation anything!!! But I've had it in salad and it was good.....these look so good and easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you could bake these for a healthier alternative! Hubby and I LOVE crab rangoon but I try not to get it too often b/c it's so unhealthy. We definitely need to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let you know that Imitation crab meat works better and the texture is more similar to take out! I randomly made this exact thing last week for my family... right around the time you made it! Weird.

    (Also weird... we are doing the same project in our kitchen as you did in the hallway with the chair rail and trim!!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...