Monday, June 25, 2012

Re-Generate your Green Onions? It's true!


Several months ago I saw an idea on Pinterest that claimed you could re-generate green onions simply by placing the cut off stems in a cup of water. Ummmmm. Really? I mean, REALLY??? OK, I gotta admit, I was pretty skeptical. In fact, I didn't even repin it to any of my boards as I wasn't sure I was buying it.

Well, I happened to have a bundle of green onions on hand the other day for a recipe. So, I decided to give the old idea a try. I mean, it was worth a try, right? Well... follow me this way...

First I cut off the green stems and left the white roots strapped together by a rubber band.

How to re-generate green onions


Then I dropped the bundle into a small tupperware container, added some water and placed it on the pathetic miniscule just plain old sad excuse of a window ledge in the kitchen.


re-grow your green onions




Then I waited.

But not long.

Because...

By Day 3, my stubs looked like this...





And by Day 5, we were here...




And just ONE day later we already had this!





On to Day 8...




And here we are at Day 15. So it took about 2 weeks to get to this point. A not-quite-so-perfect, but damn-good-enough batch of green onions! WOW!


Regenerated Green Onions

What do you know?? It actually worked! Go figure! I will never buy green onions again! OK, well, that may not be true. To be honest, my re-growth isn't quite as "hardy" as a new batch of onions from the grocery store would be. But they'll work! And I can't say if these will re-generate again after I cut off those new green stems. BUT, I defintiely plan to give it a try! :) And I'll be sure to come back and update ya!

In the meantime, I highly recommend this trick at least once!




This post has been featured! Thank you so much! Please be sure to check out these fabulous blogs and their parties!



IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

  
Linking up to these fun parties:


Pin It
Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I love this. I have a Blog Hop and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/06/natural-hair-gel-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinned it ans so doing it. I am a big fan of green onions, don't know why I have not known about this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try that since I saw it on Pinterest. We seem to use more green onions in the summer, so I'll be trying it soon. Thanks for the day by day photos.

    I'd love for you to link this post to my Finished Friday blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you drop them into a little pot of soil they will be hardier, the green onions will need some nutrients or they stop growing. We used to do this and put them in the garden every spring, if you just snip off the green tops they will continue to grow all spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I am so trying this. Love the photos day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower via Someday Crafts. This is awesome! I am (again) trying to keep a kitchen garden going, and I'll definitely be doing this! So do you just keep them in the water and re-use the good parts, or have you tried to put them in dirt after they start to regenerate?

    Check out my blog at the link above and follow me back if you like!

    Happy 4th! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can put garlic cloves on a plate in the window sill - they will grow, too. Use the scapes (the green parts) in salads and pasta... keep cutting until the energy is gone in the cloves. Fun thing to do with kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's Amazing! I'm trying this out today! Pinned this to my Clever Stuff Board!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...