Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cake Mix Cookies

On the 4th of July I went to a friend's house to help celebrate her daughter's first birthday. I made these cookies to take along and they were a BIG hit...



Cake Mix Cookies - 4th of July style
What you need:
  • 1 box cake mix (I used white)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk *
  • Colored sprinkles
  • 1 can vanilla frosting
  • Food coloring
* I don't ever have buttermilk on hand so I used this substitute (combine 1 c. milk with 1 T. vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes. Use the amount you need).

What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine cake mix, egg, oil and buttermilk in large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium until smooth.
  • Shape into 1-inch mounds of batter into balls and flatten a bit, then place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. (I used a small cookie scoop to get my dough on the cookie sheet and then flattened each dollop with an offset spatula.)
  • Top with sprinkles to match your color scheme (I used a red and white sugar combo left over from Christmas, with some blue sugar added on top since I was going for a 4th of July theme)
  • Bake until cookies are golden and firm, 8-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack. (my cookies were quite large so they took closer to 13 min. to cook)
  • Divide the frosting into bowls as necessary and use food coloring to achieve the desired colors. (I split mine into 2 bowls, leaving an equal amount in the frosting tub. Then colored one bowl red, one blue and left the stuff in the tub plain white).
  • Sandwich 2 cookies together with frosting (making an equal amount of sandwiches with each color of frosting). Enjoy!

These cookies got rave reviews from the adults and kids alike! The best thing I like about this recipe (besides the taste!) is that you can modify your cake mix flavor, sprinkle choices and frosting colors/flavors to suit any occassion! I'd love to try them with yellow cake mix and chocolate frosting since that is my favorite type of cake. The possibilities are endless!



Cake Mix Cookies

Notes for next time:

- I will flatten the dough balls a little bit more before baking. I found that the dough really doesn't spread much during the baking process and I would have liked my cookies to be a little thinner since they were being sandwiched together.

- I liked using my small cookie scoop to make my dough balls, but next time I think I won't fill it quite so full. My cookies ended up really quite large and I think they would have been better (and the dough gone further) had they been a bit smaller.


Note: Recipe adapted from Parents magazine April 2011 issue.


This post has been featured - THANK YOU!! Please be sure to check out these amazing blogs!









Linking up here:
Eat at Home - Cake Mix Link Up
It's A Keeper
House of Hepworths
A Little Knick Knack
FIngerprints on the Fridge
The Frugal Girls
Simply Designing
While He Was Napping
Tatertots and Jello
Remodelaholic
Under the Table and Dreaming
Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms
Keeping It Simple
The Tattered Tag
Polish the Stars


Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. thats so awesome!!! looks yummy:)
    http://easypeasygrandma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I share a similar recipe. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look great and bet there were so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here from Melt in your Mouth monday.. this looks fantastic! I'll def. have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I cant wait to try this. Thanks for sharing. I am new to your blog and love it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the yellow cake mix and then roll them in sugar/cinnamon mix before flattening. They taste just like SnickerDoodles :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use one similar to this. Was on a cake mix box that I got from Aldi's. But I use all kinds of mixes. Made chocolate cookies from a devil's food mix and added nuts and chocolate chips. Used a spice mix and added butterscotch chips and pecans. They come out so nice and soft and chewy. Grandkids love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm, spice mix with butterscotch and pecans sounds delicious! I like carrot cake mix with white chocolate chips, and German chocolate with peanut butter chips and walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strawberry cake mix and cream cheese frosting! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your yummy cookies! Thanks for linking up! :)

    http://www.polishthestars.com/2011/07/link-party-monday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful! I so love the ease of making cookies with a cake mix. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...