Friday, December 3, 2010

Snowflake Specimen Art {Shortcut Style}

So I enjoyed my mock Halloween specimen art (HERE) so much that I decided to try and do some for the Winter Season. I opted not to do a "Christmas" theme so it could last past December 25th so I decided to go with ~snowflakes~. I happened to be off work today so I headed out to Michaels this morning and found these foam sticker snowflakes - all on clearance for $1.49 each.


I wanted my snowflakes to all be the same size so I had to mix and match the choices in the various bags. Yes, I actually sat there for an HOUR and laid them all out on the floor in matching groups. The reason it took so long is because 90% of them needed to have all the little inner pieces removed. I figured I might as well go ahead and do it to all of them so they would be ready for future projects.


Then I cut some pretty red and green cardstock (from my old scrapbooking stash) and placed it in the same frame I had used for my halloween specimen art. Again, I put the paper on top of the glass so you could see the dimension of the stickers. I decided which snowflakes I wanted to use and fiddled around with the arrangement until I landed on my favorite. Then I just stuck them on. Here is the final result!





And here is a close up of the 3D "effect". I love that some of them have glitter on them too - adds some nice holiday sparkle.



First I tried it out on the mantle.






But I ended up putting it on the end table. 



Next to it, I put a cute little footed bowl that I also picked up this morning from TJ Maxx (clearanced for $3). In the bowl I placed some silver twig balls from Michaels (clearanced for $1.99).




I like it!! What do you think? Not too bad for some cheap foam stickers!!







In case you are a new visitor, here are links to my other forrays into specimen art (if you're curious):



This project was featured!! Thank you so much - I'm honored!!

UndertheTableandDreaming




I've Been Featured Button


IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

I also want to thank these bloggers for the "shoutouts":


This project was linked up to the CSI Project's Winter Crafts and Decor Challenge!
Visit thecsiproject.com

Linking up to these parties (also see Linky Parties tab above):
cross my hooks blog link












The DIY Show Off







Pin It!

57 comments:

  1. I love this idea! And it's sounds so easy to do! May just have to go buy me some snowflakes tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I even have all those foam stickers right here at home! What a great idea. :) I'm your newest follower--hope you'll stop by my blog and follow back if you'd like:
    www.homeandholidaykeepsakes.blogspot.com
    I have a free cupcake wrapper printable you can download!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Your colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. found this through tatertots & jello - LOVE it! simple, classy, and cute! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally love this, and totally copying this! teehee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!!
    What a great project...so versatile!
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Paper Issues!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, I love it, bravo:)))
    Greetings from Europe,Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too Cute! I'm in LOVE! Thanks for linking!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMW>...lovin' your ART...and the grouping is GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute idea. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love specimen art, but had not thought about snowflakes...what a good idea :) come on over and link up to MMM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i LOVE this idea!! i may just have to "borrow" it, hehe, so THANKS for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy cow i LOVE it! especially with stickers! easy peasy! :) thank you!!
    (linked you from tatertots & jello) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea! I came over from Polly Want a Crafter! This is just so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. so pretty and elegant, yet simple at the same time. that is a fine crafty combination right there, isn't it? very very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kyra - Super cute! Thanks so much for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this!!! I love snowflakes - what a super cute idea! I found you from Censational Girl's link party :) New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! I love that there is dimension to it. This would be a fantastic project for kids to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darling! I love snowflakes and this is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! Looks super easy to do & thats exactly my kinda project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SHUT UP!! (As Stacy would say! LOL)

    That is too easy...but looks fantastic!! And great steal at TJ Maxx on that cool bowl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a sweet idea! Very cute and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Kyra!
    Just wanted to let you know I featured you... again. I love your blog and your awesome projects! Thanks for linking up each week!

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so chic! Not at all like it was made with foam craft snowflakes. WOW! I love it :) Thank you for linking it up today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really cute! It looks perfect on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an awesome idea! I am your newest follower! Please follow me at http://CraftyCierra.blogspot.com/ and dont forget to enter my giveaway for a fun Christmas Activity Book! If you are interested in doing a blogswap, please email me! CierraLarsen@hotmail.com Thanks!

    /Cierra

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this idea. It's so cool how you can do specimen art for any holiday. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like your projects. I'm in awe of your bargain shopping skills!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Found this at Hooray for the Holidays at Cross My Hooks. Love how your Snowflake Specimen turned out. I am following your blog now. Stop by Wiccan Make Some Too when you can & say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Suuuuuuper cute! GREAT job! I've been wanting to do a butterfly "specimen" print for awhile. They're just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think this is great! I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Soooo cute!!! What a great idea :)

    Shopper Gal
    http://www.shoppergal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Turned out sooo cute! I love it!

    Come enter a giveaway!

    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/sseko-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is so beautiful! I love it, such a clever idea, that I had to highlight it on my Polly want a Crafter blog today @ 5:30! I hope you get some new readers! Thanks so much for linking up to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so great. I love the specimen snowflakes. Great way to use those stick on foam things. I would have never thought of it.

    Thanks for linking up @ Hooray for the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is Fabulous! Awesome job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this! I want to make me one now! I am sharing this with my FB fans, hope you don't mind! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a great idea! I'm not a fan of foam but you made it look so adorable! Awesome! I will have to "copy" you. Hope you don't mind!;) However I will at least put it in my own color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I featured you this week!

    Hookin' Up with HoH #28

    Stop by and grab a featured button! You deserve it. :)

    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete
  40. It looks awesome! Your hard work was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love it. So easy, you would have never thought it though. I'll have to remember this for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ok, this is really cute!! I love the geometric design...thanks so very much for linking to the Christmas Challenge! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love this idea.... But we dont get these kind of stickers here... ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love this! I've featured you on my blog (sorta) on my Holiday Gifts post about last minute gifts to make for the holidays. Although, to be honest, it's a list for next year for me! LOL

    I'm following you now and will definitely be back to see other cute things as you create them!

    Tina "the Book Lady"
    http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com
    http://familyliteracyandyou.blogspot.com
    http://givingnsharing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a clever idea! You are so creative, Kyra! You really did make foam shapes look chic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. How cute and clever! Thanks for linking up to the CSI Project this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. LOVE Michael's clearance! I got so much great stuff there the other day. This is fantastic. I saw you on CSI's link party, I'm hosting a Winter Wonderland link party on Monday and would love it if you linked up!
    -Melissa
    www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...