Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Super Easy Oreo & Fudge Ice Cream "Cake"

We went over to a friend's house last weekend for dinner. She is an old friend that I first met almost 20 years ago. I had just recently moved to the DC Area and didn't have many galpals yet. But she and I became fast friends and soon hung out together all the time. However, about 10 years later, as life has a tendency to do, we eventually went our separate ways. Neither one of us can remember why we stopped hanging out or even exactly when. But it happened. Jobs, new friends, boyfriends, husbands, kids... you know, LIFE happened. And sadly, we just fell out of touch. No fight, no big "drama"... just drifted apart. Has that ever happened to you? :(

But a couple of years ago, through the magic of Facebook, we reconnected and it has been a blast catching up on the past 10 years!! She and her husband live less than 10 miles from us and her 2 kids are just about the same age as mine. We've been trying to make an effort to hang out as families and, thankfully, everyone really gets along well. BONUS! :)

So they had us over for dinner last weekend. She made an awesome homemade lasagna. And I offered to bring dessert. (and wine!! ;)  I decided to make a recipe I had pulled out of Kraft Foods "Food & Family Magazine" back in 2007 and have never had the chance to make yet. And, I gotta say, it came out reallllly good! I was kind of sad that she asked me to leave the leftovers at her house but I was able to negotiate a trade of another dinner's worth of lasagna so it all worked out. ;)

This is not my original recipe. You can see the "real deal" (and even a video) HERE at Kraft Foods. But here is the reproduced recipe with my non-professional photos.

Oreo & Fudge Ice Cream Cake:
Prep: 10 min.
Total: 4 hours 10 min (incl. freezing)
Serves: 12

What you need:
Please disregard the cream cheese in this photo - not sure how that got in there!

1/2 cup fudge ice cream topping, warmed
1 tub (8 oz.) whipped topping, thawed
1 package (4 serving size) Instant Chocolate Pudding
8 Oreo cookies
12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches

Pour the fudge topping into a medium bowl. Stir in 1 cup of the whipped topping with a wire whisk until well-blended. Add in the dry pudding mix; stir 2 min or until well-blended. If your fudge topping mixture seems too thick to spread easily stir in a couple tablespoons of milk.

Creamy chocolate goodness!!


Chop the oreo cookies roughly into chunks, then stir them into the pudding mixture.

Feel free to eat a few pieces as you chop...

Oh my... that looks good...


Arrange 4 of the ice cream sandwiches side-by-side on a 24" x 12" piece of foil. Top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat the layers.

The 4-yr old helped me make this dessert - that is how easy this is!


Top the second layer of pudding mixture with the remaining 4 ice cream sandwiches. The layers will create a neat striped effect when sliced.

yummmmmmmmmmmm


Frost the top and sides with the remaining whipped topping. It doesn't have to look perfect.

My whipped topping got a little too melty but it still worked OK


Bring up the foil sides and double fold the top and ends to loosely seal the packet. Freeze at least 4 hours before serving. Let stand at room temp to soften slightly before serving.


Disclaimer: I forgot my camera when we went to my girlfriend's house so I only had my cell phone - please pardon the lousy photo! Clearly I let it soften a little too much before cutting and I wasn't very neat with my cutting, but you know what? It still tasted DELSIOSO! If you want to see what it is supposed to look like when you cut it, check out the Kraft link I provided above. :)


Lousy cell phone photo does not impair taste in any way - DELISH!


I will definitely be making this again! It will be especially fabulous in the summer!!


Try not to lick your computer screen. Too much. It just won't be the same. Trust me.
Linking up to these parties:



Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks super yummy! wowza.
    In answer to your Ikea/bamboo question, I don't know where it came from!! Very likely Ikea??? My husband got it from a work/team building meeting earlier this year :) Now I will think of you everytime I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm, looks amazing!!! Can't wait to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read every single one and enjoy visiting your blogs in return!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...